Christmas helplines

My office is now closed for the Christmas break from the 21st of December until the 3rd January. However, my team and I will be intermittently checking the inbox for any urgent enquiries which cannot wait until the 3rd January.

If your email is urgent, add ‘URGENT’ to the email subject and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please ensure you include your full address and a contact number. All other correspondence will be responded to after 3rd January.

I wish you all the best wishes for Christmas, and a better and peaceful New Year.

Tony Lloyd MP

Rochdale Council

Most non-critical council services close at 5pm on, Friday, 23 December 2022 and reopen at 9am on Tuesday, 3 January 2023.

The Council’s out of hours phone lines are open Monday-Friday 5.30pm-8.30am, 24 hours on weekends and bank holidays.

You can call them for help with:

Social services – emergency help, children or older people in need of protection or care, faulty lifts and hoists

Emergency work on highways – spills, subsidence, accidental damage, flooding, sewerage problems, gritting problems

Public emergency – dangerous buildings or damage to public buildings

Armed forces – emergency help

Homelessness – emergency help

Call the out of hours phone number 0300 303 8875

Health and wellbeing, and the cost of living

In medical emergencies visit your local hospital. Call 111 for non-urgent medical advice.

The Cost of Living Toolkit is for anyone looking to do something about money matters, and will help you work out your first priority, what options there are, and who to speak to first. I’ve also put together a digital leaflet that contains information to help with the cost of living.

Independent Age have produced this booklet, Winterwise, to help keep you warm, well and safe this winter.

Rochdale Council have also produced a leaflet on the Warm Homes Scheme, to improve health and wellbeing, alleviate fuel poverty and reduce the carbon emissions of households. Residents are able to refer themselves into the scheme on this page: Warm Homes Programme – Rochdale – Groundwork


Always call 999 in an emergency, or phone 101 for non-emergencies. For details of neighbourhood police teams click here.

Street lighting faults

EON emergency phone lines, open every day 5pm-8am for:

• Dangerous street lighting faults

• Major street lighting faults

• Damage to street lights from road accidents

Call EON Emergency on 0300 303 8881


You should contact the relevant company directly in an emergency:

Gas The National Grid website

Electricity United Utilities website

Floods Environment agency website

Water United Utilities website

Dangerous buildings, highway problems, environmental health 0300 303 8879

RBH Housing Repairs

Call Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) for emergency repairs on 0800 027 7769 or 01706 274100, or email RBH at


Phone 116 123, or email (response time: 24 hours)

The CALMzone

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) has a helpline and livechat. Phone 0800 585858, or if you or someone you know needs help right now, call 999.

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

You can contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline for free and in confidence. Helpline: 0808 2000247


Galop runs the national domestic abuse helpline for members of the LGBT+ community. National helpline: 0800 999 5428

Men’s Aid

Men’s Aid provides advice and support to men who have been abused. Phone: 0333 5670556


You can contact Childline about anything. There website offers lots of different ways to access support. Helpline: 0800 1111

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice help people find a way forward with problems that may seem complicated or intimidating. Phone: 0800 144 8848


Mind provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Phone: 0300 1233393

Age UK

Age UK provides free information and advice to help you on topics as diverse as claiming benefits to care homes. Phone: 0800 0556112


Action on Elder Abuse run Hourglass confidential helpline providing information and support to anyone concerned about harm, abuse or exploitation of an older person. National helpline: 0808 808 8141

Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline

The Switchboard is there to help you with whatever you want to talk about. Phone: 0300 3300630

LGBT Foundation

The LGBT Foundation supports the needs of the diverse range of people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans. Phone: 0345 3303030


A voluntary organisation supporting teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal. Helpline: 0800 068 41 41

Talk ED

Talk ED is the new name for Anorexia and Bulimia Care. They provide on-going care, emotional support and practical guidance for anyone affected by eating disorders, those struggling personally and parents, families and friends. Helpline: 03000 11 12 13


SignHealth provides domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL). Telephone: 020 3947 2601, or Text/WhatsApp/Facetime: 07970 350366