This year, it’s more important than ever for older people to help protect themselves against the flu. Age UK has provided some useful advice on flu prevention this winter.
Winter can be a tough time for older people. They may be more vulnerable to respiratory viruses, as well as Covid-19. It’s vital that they are aware of practical steps that they can take to look after themselves. Age UK have created a useful resource on flu prevention. This includes information on:
· Flu symptoms
· How to treat the flu
· What they can do to stop themselves from catching the flu
· Who is eligible for a free flu jab
· When they should have the flu jab
· Where they can get the flu jab
You can access this resource here.
They have also included answers to frequently asked questions about the flu jab, such as why it’s important to get it every year, and how the flu jab works.
In addition to this, Age UK have an informative guide with useful tips for older people on how they can keep healthy in winter. This includes advice on:
· Keeping physically active
· Eating well
· Making sure their home is warm enough
· Stopping the spread of germs
· Wrapping up well when going outside
You can access this guide here.
Alongside these guides, Age UK also provide support through their free advice line on 0800 055 6112. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. A list of local specialist advisers can also be found here.